LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 22 17:20:34 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Orthography

Sandy said:

"As for "atrocious", which is a prude's approved adjective for English
text with spelling errors, I think that this is nothing but snobbery."

I must apologize if my comments came across as snobbish, but would you not
agree that bad spelling, and I do refer to consistent bad spelling and not
just to an occasional lapse, is a reflection on the dire state of English
language teaching in our schools? And  I really would not consider my claims
for the prevalence of such spellings to be exaggerated - I seem to encounter
them wherever I look. The Times newspaper is replete with them (and so are
broadsheets of other political leanings), official letters are full of them,
brochures from holiday firms and government departments are too. In actual
fact the IT revolution has perhaps exacerbated the situation because people
write text and then run the spell-checker which often leaves glaring
mistakes.

I honestly think that our schools need to go back to more prescriptive
methods of teaching the language. I am sure that you, Sandy, must have been
taught in that way if your French instruction was as meticulous as you
describe. We need to establish and maintain some standards after all.

Sandy also said:

"I've heard people on this list saying that they don't see spelling
mistakes in French. This mystifies me because one of the most amusing things
I saw on my first visit to France was the spelling mistakes in notices in
shop windows, especially with respect to badly-parsed liaision. It was
amusing because, you know, because we just weren't _allowed_ to do any of
that in my Scottish school!"

I have also seen an occasional mistake in handwritten French signs, and in
personal letters written by Frenchmen (especially with regard to the
agreement of Past Participles), and I have seen minor mistakes on signs
written by Italians, but I have never seen spelling mistakes in French or
Italian newspapers or official letters.

Sandy quotes someone on the list as having said:

""Second to Finnish, Czech is probably the most phonemic spelling system in
Europe."

I am not very familiar with Finnish, but what little I have studied of it do
indeed show it to be (absolutely?) phonetic. I suspect, however, that the
reason for that is that the spelling is relatively recent and therefore
represents a fairly modern form of the language. The earliest form of
written Finnish was conceived by a bishop Mikael Agricola in the 16th
century; the language at that time contained quite a number of sounds that
subsequently disappeared (such as the voiced and unvoiced dental
fricatives), consequently the spelling was revised time after time.The
language was rarely used as a medium for literature and officialdom after
the brief renaissance of the 16th century until it finally broke from the
Russian yoke in 1809. I contend therefore that the reason for the simple
Finnish Orthography is the fact that it is a more or less modern way of
representing the contemporary form of the language.

In the case of Czech we are dealing with a form of the language standardised
by Josef Dobrowsky  in the 19th century, based on the language of the 16th
century that had hardly changed since the 13th-14th century.The result is
that the modern literary language is grammatically and orthographically
archaic when compared to the colloquial language, and the orthography is not
that marvellous even for the representation of the written norm.The result
of all this is, as you so rightly observe, problems with spelling. In actual
fact, I think it would be true to say that Serbo-Croat orthography is more
efficient and phonemic than Czech, but then it too was only really
standardised by Vuk Karadzic in the 1800s.

I totally agree with you regarding Icelandic; the orthography looks so
efficient at first sight - it is so wonderful to see the letters Thorn and
Etha, and acute accents showing vowel length, but the phonological system
has changed quite a bit since Old Icelandic times (when the orthography does
seem to have been more or less phonemic), and as you begin to delve deeper
into the language you begin to be aware that all is not as wonderful as you
initially thought.

Sandy goes on to say:

"As for the best spelling system in Europe? Well, I don't know all that
many spelling systems but of those I know I would suggest Welsh."

Welsh orthography is very phonemic as far as the spoken literary language
goes, but colloquial Welsh has moved on since the spelling was
standardised.For instance, the 3rd person plural verbal ending -nt was
already pronounced [-n] in the 9th century, and is so in the colloquial
language today, but it is still written -nt and pronounced according to the
spelling in the spoken literary norm.Initial vowels are often dropped in
colloquial Welsh (as in [va:le] for 'afalau' (apples), [fe:dog] for
'arffedog' (apron).) Still though, if we ignore more contemporary
developments in the language, and concentrate on the efficiency of the
orthography in presenting the literary pronunciation, I think I would
wholeheartedly agree that it is very successful.

It is difficult to comment too much on Finnish, not having mastered the
language or knowing too much about its dialects, but I believe I have heard
that Finnish dialects are relatively homogenous, and are becoming
increasingly more so.If this is the case, then I would suggest that Finnish
beats Welsh, its orthography is, after all, described as being 99.9%
phonemic.

Regards,

John
Preston, UK.