LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.22 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 22 17:24:26 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.21 (03) [E]

Hi Luc,

Not forgetting to mention that some churches in the Norfolk area, have a
typical Flemish architecture, which refers to the churches of Flemish
villages such as Oostkerke and Lissewege.

denis dujardin,
kortrijk
West-Flanders

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Language Contacts

Dear Lowlanders,

Can anyone tell me whether the Frisian language of Heligoland (=Frisian
Halund, German Helgoland) has any English loanwords dating from the period
of the British occupation (1807-1890)? And are their many Danish loanwords
from their earlier rule of the islands? I know that the inhabitants use the
Low German word _kark_ for 'church', but are their many other lexical
testimonies to the Hanseatic traders?

Regards,

John
Preston, UK.