LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.09.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 23 15:42:58 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: NTL <shoogly at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.09.22 (07) [E]

I believe that it was set in Greenock area of Glasgow ( S.W of the  city ) -
I am pretty sure that Martin Comptson who is the main actor in it came from
that area. I used to live in Glasgow and it sounded like a very Glasgow
accent. Gourock is part of Renfrewshire - and is placed along the South side
of the river Clyde. Greenock was always one of the largest of the Glasgow
ports. This would put his accent and the accents used as being West
Central - but it has to be pointed out that they were in fact not actually
speaking much genuine Scots - it is an unfortunate fact that there is not to
much Scots spoken in the Glasgow area as this area was settled largely by
people from the Highlands of Scotland and people from Ireland - who were
traditionally Scottish and Irish Gaelic speakers respectively - and never
spoke Scots. They was you heard them speak on the film is quite genuine an
how they speak in the area - nothing made up for or diluted for the film. It
is funny though that apparently when they showed the film in England they
had subtitles - even though they weren't actually speaking Scots!! I was
watching a television programme here on the Scottish film awards and Martin
Compston got the award for best new comer. In his acceptance speech he made
a joke about how it is nice to be able to speak to people without subtitles
;-)
It was a lovely and heartfelt film - but unfortunately shows the poverty and
desperation in much of Scottish urban working class environments - where the
kids are given no hope and nothing much is expected of them.

Best wishes

Crìsdean Mac Fhearghais / Chris Ferguson