LL-L "Architecture" 2003.09.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 23 15:41:03 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Architecture

Sandy wrote under "Language contacts":

> In Scotland, "crawstep gables" (crow-step gables)
> are the normal form of architecture. These are
> considered to be of Flemish origin. New buildings
> in Scotland are still constructed this way. An
> example of these can be seen in this illustration
> from a Scots novel:
> http://scotstext.org/makars/p_hay_hunter/chaipter_11.asp
> most clearly in the nearest house on the left.

Sandy,

While in the case of Scotsland they may be of "Flemish" origin, let me
mention that those "crawstep gables" are also extremely common in Northern
Germany, not to mention the Netherlands.  They are indeed predominant in
older architecture.  In the (once) wealthier cities in Northern Germany and
elsewhere where there is a Hanseatic past, these are sometimes incorporated
into a more elaborate style known as _Norddeutsche Backsteingotik_ ("North
German Brick Gothic").

Examples:
http://www.luebeck.de/
http://www.rostock.de/Internet/stadtverwaltung/gaeste/start.htm
http://wege-zur-backsteingotik.de/start.html

Unfortunately, I do not know what the German or Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
name for this sort of step gable is.  Who does?