LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.22 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 23 20:55:13 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: kcaldwell31 at comcast.net <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.22 (01) [E]

> From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> 'read' (past participle of 'read', another anomaly) rhymes
> with 'red', while the infinitive 'to read' rhymes with 'mead' and (the
verb)
> 'lead', the past participle of which, 'led' rhymes with 'dead'.

I see more and more instances of people writing the past tense of 'lead'
as 'lead'.

> 'School'
> might be from Greek via Latin, but English has received it from its

> Anglo-Saxon ancestor, and it starts with the curious combination sch-
> (virtually limited to Latin loanwords) and rhymes with (Romance) 'rule'

I can think of plenty of Yiddish loanwords that start with sch-, although
the
pronunciation of sch- in those words differs from its pronunciation in
'school'.

> Why should 'right' be spelled as it is when we have the word
> 'write'

Not to mention the word 'rite'.

> I suppose one fairly gentle step we could take in the UK (and in Australia
> and New Zealand where spelling is almost identical to ours) would be to
> follow the lead of the Americans and adopt their simplified spellings:
> aging, ardor, harbor, armor, behavior, defense, fiber, maneuver, meter,
> pediatric and so on. There might be a few instances where they could adopt
> our spellings (English 'gram' where the US has 'gramme'),

'Gramme' is not an American spelling.  I've always thought of it as a
British
spelling.  The same goes for 'program' (US) vs. 'programme' (UK).

> Usage of the apostrophe 's' has in
> fact been changing since the beginning of the last century, and much
former
> pedantry has been abandoned, but this has left a muddle behind it. The
main
> problem, of course, is where we are dealing with a word, especially a
proper
> noun, in '-s': at one time it was considered proper to write _Jesus'_
> meaning 'of Jesus', while pronouncing the word with two syllables,
identical
> in pronunciation to its nominative form; I can only think of one person on
> television who still does that, and it sounds very odd. Since the rest of
us
> now say _Jesuses_, would it not make sense to write the word thus, or, if
we
> are overly sentimental about the retention of the apostrophe, _Jesus's_?

Interesting.  Most people I know don't say _Jesuses_ (in fact, I don't think
I've ever heard it).  It's still two syllables in the possessive form here
in
the US.  At my church we always end prayers with "in Jesus' name," not "in
Jesus's name," and so on.

[Kevin Caldwell]