LL-L "History" 2003.09.24 (13) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 24 19:39:37 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Anja Meyfarth <anja-meyfarth at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2003.09.24 (11) [E]

Hello Lowlanders!

John asked:

> I have heard before that the British attempted to destroy the island of
> Heligoland. It might be a little off-topic, but do you, or does anyone
else
> have any idea why they tried to do such a foolish thing, especially as
they
> did so long after hostilities had ceased?

And Ron answered:

> I can only tell you what I know from the rumor mill.  Britain wanted to be
> sure that Heligoland could never again be used for strategic purposes.
> Under the circumstances of World War II, the island was in a strategically
> advantageous location, was thus perceived as quite a threat to British
> security: fairly far out at sea from the mouth of river Elbe, pointing in
> the direction of Britain.  At that point in history, Britain did not trust
> Germany at all, perhaps justifiably so, and had no way of knowing whether
or
> not there would be any resurgence of hostilities.  Plus, being the victors
> and occupiers they were in charge and felt free to do as they darn well
> pleased.

Well, as a matter of fact, they never really tried to blow up the entire
island. That would be too big a thing to do. What the Britains were doing
was destroying ammunition and defences. That made enough damage and there
further plans for using Helgoland for proving new kinds of ammunition and
weapons. They did not care about the former inhabitants, not at all. Nor did
the Germans, having other, more serious problems at least in the beginning.

Oh, by the way: Helgoland was exchanged for Sansibar. You are right in this,
Ron.

Greetings from Kiel,

Anja