LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.24 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 24 19:46:57 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2003 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Orthography"

> From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> One point that I have just realized is that getting rid of the
> apostrophe s
> (in a spelling reform) would be perfectly tenable except in one
> case: where
> you have a plural genitive / possessive of a word ending in -s. When we
> write <the brother's sons>, we are referring to the two or more
> sons of one
> brother; when we write <the brothers' sons> we are speaking of the two or
> more sons of two or more brothers! I am not quite sure how we could solve
> that without killing the construction altogether (and writing <the sons of
> the brothers>).

I think this point sheds a lot of light on the art of devising writing
systems.

One rule of thumb should be that if something in an orthography isn't found
in speech, gesture, tone, stress, or any other physical phenomenon in the
production of the language, then there's no need to represent it in the
orthography.

This raises the question of why <the brother's sons> and <the brothers'
sons> causes no problems in speech even when we foresee problems in omitting
the apostrophe in writing. Some (overlapping) reasons why it's not a problem
in speech may be:

1. a speaker can always construct his utterance so that it's unambiguous;

2. it's clear from the context, otherwise the speaker would give more
context;

3. a speaker uses constructs that the grammarian is trying to prescribe
against.

4. The grammarian loses the plot and tries to derive expressive power from
chimerical features of the orthography.

In the case of 1 & 2 it's just a question of being able to write clearly:
there are many potentially ambiguous constructs in speech that a writer has
to find ways of expressing clearly, and this is just another of them.

An example of 3 would be if a speaker used a productive process and said
"the brotherses sons" to make himself extra clear, but the grammarian
considers this too ungrammatical to be written.

Item 4 would be like where in speech a person might clarify the meaning with
a qualifier such as "that brothers sons" vs "those brothers sons" or "the
three brothers sons".

I think it all adds up to the fact that you really don't need the
apostrophes, you just need to adjust your writing style slightly to reflect
the strateges of the spoken language better.

I would think the same applies to capitals but not to commas, since they
represent pauses. I'm not so sure of thinks like colons and semicolons - I
could believe they represent special lengths or patterns of pauses used when
itemising lists and suchlike in speech.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/