LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.09.25 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 25 20:20:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Every now and then subscribers ask me what they can do to have their email
program display non-English symbols correctly.  Below please find what I
wrote to one subscriber today:

<quote>

[...] if you find "vital gobbledigook," go to the "View" menu, and
find "Encoding."  There should be a choice called "Unicode UTF-8" or just
"UTF-8".  Choose it, and the message will be displayed correctly, because
we use this encoding mode (which is the road all international stuff is
going to go).

In case you don't have "UTF-8", tell your browser to load it.  Find
something like "Internet Options" under "Tool" (or "Options" under "Edit",
depending on the browser program you use).  Look for "Fonts" or
equivalent, and make your choices.  For "Latin-based" proportionally
spaced font you might want to choose Arial, best Arial Unicode, if you
have it (since it contains most symbols), and for "text"/"quote"/"same
width" font Courier.

I hope this doesn't overwhelm you and my instructions work.

</quote>

Also, hopefully those of you who use non-English software will be able to
find the respective equivalents in their languages.

Welcome to our new Lowlander who joined us today from Enschede, Overijssel,
the Netherlands!

Everyone, please make sure you are familiar with the rules and guidelines
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules).  Some of you who have been
around for a while still make some basic mistakes, such as not providing
their names, not sticking with a given subject line in responses, not
crediting quotes, and combining two or more topics in a single submission.
Usually I don't make a big deal about it, rather correct the mistakes so the
originators are bound to get the hint (and to make the submission
publishable).  Things become a little more direct if my hints are not taken.

Thanks for your cooperation and support!
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net