LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.28 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 28 21:20:06 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Names / Resources

I made a little web page, listing the former "17 Provinces" with some
comments at URL:
http://home-13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/terr/bel/17_pro/17_pro.htm

Intention is to clarify how the Netherlands grew out of the "Pays de par
deçà " ("landen van herrewaarts over") and which territories actually formed
the "17 Provinces" in the mid of the 16th century.

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

Lowlanders,

I've now transfered D Gibb Mitchell's "Sermons in Braid Scots" from the old
Scotstext archives to the main site. It's at:

http://scotstext.org/makars/d_gibb_mitchell/

It's a collection of ten sermons in Scots interspersed with a number of
Bible quotations and prayers in Scots. While you may have seen the text on
the old site, the new site is much better laid out, with simpler navigation,
so I hope it will be easier to access now, and a more pleasant read, too!

It includes Mitchell's translation of the Lord's Prayer:

Faither o us aa, bidin Abuin,
Thy name be holy.
Lat Thy reign begin!
Lat Thy will be duin,
Baith in Yirth an Heeven!
Gie us ilka day oor needfu fendin.
An forgie us aa oor ill deeds, as we e'en forgie them that did us ill;
An lat us no be siftit, but save us frae the Ill Ane!
For the croun is Thine ain,
An the micht an the glory,
For ever an ever. AMEN.

International Phonetic Alphabet:

'fe:ðər ɪ ʌs ɒ: 'bəɪdɪn ə'bɪn
ðɑ:ɪ ne:m bi 'ho:lɪ
lɑʔ ðɑ:ɪ re:n bɪ'gɪn
lɑʔ ðɑ:ɪ wɪl bi dɪn
be:θ ɪn jɪrθ ən 'hivɪn
gi: ʌs 'ɪlkə de: ur nidfə 'fɜ:ndɪn
ən fər'gi: ʌs ɒ: ur ɪl didz əz wi: in fər'gi: ðe:m ðəʔ dɪd ʌs ɪl
ən lɑʔ ʌs no: bi 'sɪftɪʔ bʌʔ se:v ʌs fə ðə ɪl jɪn
fər ðə krun ɪz ðəɪn e:n
ən ðə mɪxt ən ðə glo:rɪ
fər 'ɪvər ən 'ɪvər 'ɒ:m'ɜ:n

Simplified Pronouncing Scots:

faidhir i uhs aw beydin ibin
dhy naim bee hoali
laht dhy rain bigin
laht dhy wil bee din
baith in yirth in heevin
gee uhs ilki dai oor needfi fehndin
in firgee uhs aw oor il deedz iz wee een firgee dhaim dhit did uhs il
in laht uhs noa bee siftit buht saiv uhs fi dhi il yin
fir dhi kroon iz dheyn ain
in dhi mikht in dhi gloari
fir ivir in ivir awmehn

Sandy