LL-L "Architecture" 2003.09.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 28 21:15:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Architecture"

Dear Colleagues,

I have just recollected that the old-new Synagogue in Prague has crow
stepped gables (also wall ties).  I have (on my long list of things to
do!) to find out if there was a close relationship between this Jewish
community and the communities in the Low Countries.

Another example (with wall ties in the facade which are not tied into
the roof timbers because they are actually _outside_ the roof is the
amazing Casa Amatller in Barcelona.  The architect, Josep Puig i
Cadafalch, consciously used Low Countries details in this building
(1889-1900).  It's worth a visit, even if you don't like buildings,
because it sells great chocolate.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)