LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 29 16:38:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

Lowlanders,

I've put up a new collection of poems and songs on Scotstext. These were
there in the past but this is a much improved version of these popular bawdy
verses with fully revised spelling to make them easier to read while better
showing the correct Scots pronunciation. I've also restored the censored
words, since I don't see why outdated moral values should obscure the Scots
vocabulary, some of which may not be obvious to learners.

It's at:

http://scotstext.org/makars/merry_muses/

Here's a sample text, but be warned that many of them are much coarser!

Green Sleeves
=========

Green sleeves an tartan ties
Mark my true love whare she lies:
I'll be at her or she rise,
My fiddle an I thegither.

Be it by the chrystal burn,
Be it by the milkwhite thorn;
I shall rouse her in the morn,
My fiddle an I thegither.

International Phonetic Alphabet:

gri:n sli:vz ən 'tɑ:rtən tɑ:ɪz
mɑ:rks mɑ tru: lɪv ʍe:r ʃə lɑ:ɪz
ɑ:l bi əʔ ər ə'fo:r ʃə rəɪs
mɑ 'fɪd=l ən ɑ:ɪ ðə'gɪðər

bi ɪʔ bɪ ðə 'krɪstəl bʌr=n
bi ɪʔ bɪ ðə 'mɪlk'ʍəɪʔ θo:r=n
ɑ: ʃɑl ru:z ər ɪn ðə mo:r=n
mɑ 'fɪd=l ən ɑ:ɪ ðə'gɪðər

Simplified Pronouncing Scots:

green sleevz in tahrtin tyz
mahrks mah troo liv hwair shi lyz
ahl bee it ir ifoar shi reys
mah fidl in y dhigidhir

bee it bi dhi kristil buhrn
bee it bi dhi milkhweyt thoarn
ah shahl rooz ir in dhi moarn
mah fidl in y dhigidhir

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Michael T. Putnam <mputnam at mail.ukans.edu>
Subject: Low German phonotactics

To Whom It May Concern:

    Greetings. My name is Mike Putnam. I am currently a Ph.D student in
German(ic) Lingusitics at the University of Kansas. A colleague of mine and
are working on a publication dealing w/ the phonological structure of East
Frisian Low German spoken in Grundy Co., Iowa. We were wondering if any
previous theorectical works (articles and/or dissertations preferrably
dealing
with Optimality Theory) exist that deal in depth w/ the phonology and/or
phonotactics of : Western Low German, East Frisian Low German, Frisian, and
Dutch.

     Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.

Sincerely,

Mike Putnam

Michael T. Putnam
Department of Germanic