LL-L "Delectables" 2003.09.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 29 16:45:44 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Delectables

Ron wrote:

"(Note also the British tendency toward considering tea,
despite its caffeine content, a comforting and soothing drink, ..., for
instance when in British plays someone caring offers someone else a cup of
tea after they have just been a through traumatic experience and their
nerves are frayed ...'."

This is actually medically more useful than it seems at first hand; whatever
the properties of the tea the instructions in British First Aid Books, and
the traditional folk wisdom too was to offer a traumatized individual a cup
of lot sweet tea. When the body suffers trauma the temperature drops and the
blood-sugar level drops, something that is helped by hot sweet tea.

I am still pondering on the Frisian question, but I can at least explain
this apparent British eccentricity.

Regards,

John
Preston, UK