LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.29 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 29 17:39:27 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.29 (01) [E]

<...>
From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Morphology

Dear Lowlanders,

While we are on the subject of Personal Pronouns, I wonder if any of the
Lowland languages have any forms like Bavarian < miâ > for 'we'. This usage
has always confused me, and I have always put it down to Slavonic influence
(Russian ?? ; Czech / Slovak / U-L. Sorbian /Polish my ).I am confused by
the Slavonic influence in Bavaria (though it is not geographically so far
from Slavonic enclaves in Austria), whereas such influence in North Germany
would seem more expected. Are there any such forms for 'we' in the Lowland
languages?

Reagards,

John
Preston, UK.

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>

Maybe I ought to have mentioned that this curious Bavarian pronoun also has
cognates in Swiss German _mir_ ( as in <mir händ>, 'we have'); Alsatian
_mir_ (as in <mir hãn>, ib.); they also seem to use a similar word in
Vienna. All these despite the fact that OLd High German used _wir_.

Regards,

John
Preston, UK.

<...>

Hi John,
In (West-) Flemish it is also used on a regular basis
Me goan = We are going
Wuk zou me zegg'n = What should we say.
M' èèn = We have
mekaor/malkaor = each other (we two ?)
Even dual: èèn me widere = Do we have

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>

Beste John,

Very interesting topic...In Brabantish, "me" is also the unstressed form of
"we" (E).

"We're going to eat..." (E) would be: "Me gojn eetn..." (B) for example. If
I want to make it precise that it's us, and nobody but us, who is going to
eat, I would rather say "Me gojn waëln eetn..." (B) (= "Me gaan wij-l(ied)en
eten" (D)).
So it would surprise me very much if this is due to Slavonic influence. Or
it would have to date from before the migration of the Franks (when they
were still living at the other side of the Rhine).

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx