LL-L "Delectables" 2003.09.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 30 14:54:52 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.09.29 (03) [E]

To: Reinhard
Re: Delectables
>>From Andrys Onsman

Dear All

Here in Australia Ostfriesland Broken Tea is readily available at most
tea shops. I have often wondered  why it is broken - could it be a
mistranslation?

In Fryslan most people seem to drink coffee rather than tea. To "set"
coffee is still the norm when visitors call - well, at least in my
family. Traditionally, the best known brand of coffee used to be Douwe
Egberts, with cream from the bottle bearing the Frisian flag, served
with a Frisian "thumb" biscuit (in dumke).

Best,
Andrys

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hi, Andrys, Lowlanders!

> Here in Australia Ostfriesland Broken Tea is readily available at most
> tea shops.

That's great!  I've not found any in Seattle so far.  I haven't tried the
Internet yet.

> I have often wondered  why it is broken - could it be a
> mistranslation?

I don't think so.  I think it refers to broken pieces of dried leafs, as
opposed to more carefully prefered or sifted whole leaf tea.  At home we
have broken and whole Frisian and Darjeeling tea, and I find that they need
slightly different brewing times, or that they brew differently.

Frisian teas tend to consist wholly or mostly of Assam varieties, by the
way.  If mixed, Ceylon, Java or Sumatra varieties tend to be added.  So if
any of you want to try East Frisian tea, get yourself some of those
varieties, some _kluntjes_ (white rock sugar/candy, the bigger the chunks
the better) and extra-(extra-)heavy cream.   I find that Ceylon varieties
are a fairly good substitute.  (They tend to dominate in serious _chai_
brewing, though there are different schools of thought.)

Pour boiling water into the tea pot until it is about 1/4 full. Add 1 tsp
tea per cup plus 1 tsp "for the pot". Let steep for 3 to 5 minutes, then add
some more hot water to the pot.  Put one or two _kluntjes_ into each cup
(depending on their size, even more if you can only get small ones), then
pour tea through a small strainer into the cup, and carefully spoon some
cream on top of it.  Do not stir or otherwise agitate the tea!  You are
supposed to sip your way down to the sweet cream.