LL-L "Resources" 2004.04.01 (02) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 4 02:58:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.APR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ronald G. Brelsford <rgbrelsford at worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Scots Dictionary on Line

Following from:
ResearchBuzz #277 -- April 1, 2004
http://www.researchbuzz.com/

Online Scottish Dictionary Launched
Dundee University has launched a Scottish dictionary that incorporates both
the twelve-volume Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue and the ten-volume
Scottish National Dictionary. It's available at http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/ .

The dictionary is searchable by full-entry and "headword" ("searches for
Scots and English words spelled as in the main dictionary entries, but will
also try to suggest matches"). A search for "mog" by headword found only one
result, but a full entry search for mog found ten results, from Nutemug to
Moger. Definitions include definition and examples; sometimes there are
cross
references. (There were a couple of times where there were words listed with
examples but there
was no definition, and at least one cross-reference -- Muggy -- which didn't
have an exact
search result.)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Thanks, Ronald, an walcome tae the Crackie Curn o Lawlands-Ellers!

Oh, fowk an nae tae be forgot: the online dictionar o wir ain Andy Eagly:
English to Scots: http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/useeng.htm
Scots to English: http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/search.htm

For those of you who want to get (farther) into Scots, I strongly suggest
you consider _ScotsText_ (http://scotstext.org/), the awsome and growing
Scots "library" our own Sandy Fleming has been busy putting together.

Offline I highly recommend a work by yet another member of Lowlands-L:

Wilson, L. Colin (2002): _The Luath Scots Language Learner_, ISBN 0 946487
91 X, with CDs (ISBN 1 84282 026 5 CD RRP); Edinburgh (Scotland): Luath
Press.

Notwithstanding my own Scots "contributions" (which come with the disclaimer
"For entertainment purposes only"), I personally find acquiring Scots
reading (and listening) comprehension a most enjoyable process and
experience.  Scots language and literature has a lot to offer, many
treasures to discover.  For me it's up there with my personal "expedition"
into Yiddish literature in the original.  My good experiences with Scots are
in great part due to contributions and direct as well as indirect help from
our Scots speakers in this forum, who shall be thanked at this opportunity.
If you want to get your feet wet in Scots, you certainly have some great
resources at your disposal here.  I can only encourage you to have a go at
it and to speak out if you have questions.  Our Scots speakers here are most
supportive if they know you are serious about it, and they are very gracious
and forgiving if you try to use the language yourself.

I am currently ploughing my way through Robert Burns' _Tam O' Shanter_.
What an enjoyable piece of literature!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L