LL-L "Language policies" 2004.04.09 (01) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 9 18:57:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.APR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language & identity" 2004.04.05 (02) [E/French]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language & identity

> Given the seemingly intractable language policy situation in Belgium -- a
> type of petrified compromise solution, a permanent uneasy truce, so to
> speak -- I fear that non-"mainstream" languages (Flemish, Walloon,
> Limburgish, Luxembourgish, other Rhenish dialects, etc.) are more
> immediately doomed in that country than elsewhere, simply because they are
> not and apparently will not be officially recognized, with or without
> European Language Charter.  Instead, according to their loyalties,
Belgians
> will be more and more drawn into communities that utilize what amounts to
> foreign languages: Standard Dutch, Standard French and Standard German
> (never mind remaining Belgian shades).  Is my assessment of this situation
> wrong?

- 1 -
I don’t know whether or not the recognition of minority languages, by
signing the Charter, without any supporting government measures will have
effect in any country. Getting the charter signed can eventually help
movements getting something forced through courts, where governments fail to
enact follow-up legislation. Court-law though is quite exceptional in
counties with statutory law.

But it happens from time to time. In 1996 the Belgian “Arbitragehof – Cour d
’Arbitrage – Schiedshof” ruled that all Belgian law enacted since Jan 1 1989
must be translated into German. Also law enacted before this date must be
translated as far as it is still applicable.

The translation office in Malmedy is staffed with 41 personnel, of which 28
are translators.
But they cannot follow:

-- quote (in German)
[..] Schon alleine der systematischen Übersetzung von Regeltexten seit 1989
kommt die Dienststelle in Malmedy nicht nach – und “würde sie auch nicht,
wenn, wie 2000 versprochen, der Personalstand verdoppelt würde”, sagt uns
Marcel Lejoly[…]
--- quoted from: Grenz-Echo, 27 März 2004, p. 6 “Übersetzungsdienst in
Malmedy unterbesetzt”.

Btw, they do not have an easy job:
-- quote (in German)
[..] Wer in Belgien Gesetze vom Französischen oder Niederländischen ins
Deutsche übersetzen muss, stößt ständig auf die Hauptschwierigkeit der in
unserem Land verwendeten Fachausdrücke. So genügt es nicht, sich des
entsprechenden Wortschatzes in Deutschland, der Schweiz oder in Österreich
zu bedienen.[…] Es muss folglich eine eigene Terminologie belgischen Rechts
geschaffen werden [..] Die 800 vom Ausschuss festgelegten Begriffe und
Ausdrückungen und Abkürzungen sind in der Datenbank DEBETERM
(deutsch-belgische Terminologie) festgehalten. [..] www.ca.mdy.be [..]
-- quoted from: Grenz-Echo, 27 März 2004, p. 6 “Jährlich werden 15000 Seiten
übersetzt“

This clearly refers to one of the official languages. I think it illustrates
the problems that can be raised after the recognition of languages.

- 2 -
Recognition of Walloon, Limburgish etc. is not a real political issue for
the moment I think.
When I limit the real issues of last weeks to those related somehow to
languages, I noted:

- 2a –
Flemish people think federal funds (as social security money) are
disproportionately drained to Wallonia. This political issue is qualified as
“biefstuknationalisme”, rump steak nationalism. (cf. e.g.. Dave Sinardet,
Antwerp University, “Zolang de leeuw goed kan besturen”, de Standaard, April
5, 2004). This is a recurring issue, especially at periods federal budgets
are dealt with in the parliament.

- 2b -
The election district of Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde.
Halle-Vilvoorde belongs to the Flemish region. As a remnant of the past, for
some elections, as e.g. the European elections scheduled for June, the
arrondissements of Brussels and Halle-Vilvoorde form a single election
district. Getting a majority for a split failed over past decades. The
combination allows French feeling people around Brussels, in the
Halle-Vilvoorde area, to drain their votes to French speakers of the
Brussels capital region. Burgomasters of several municipalities in the
arrondissement Halle-Vilvoorde are threatening to boycott the preparation of
the elections. (cf. several articles in newspapers, April 5 …April 8)
I think though the actual system has some advantages for the Flemish too.
Flemish people from Brussels can eventually be elected thanks votes from
within Halle-Vilvoorde.
I guess the split did not come because Flemish policymakers at the end were
not willing to pay a price for this split as part of a political compromise.
Nothing is granted for nothing in these matters, and things are basically
spared up for a proper moment.

- 2c -
Rule setting for immigrants applying for visa for permanent residence are
subjected to follow a king of formation (“inburgeringstraject”). For the
North of the country, this includes learning elementary Dutch. But through
lack of funding and personnel, the government fails to get this formation
organized. (cf. several newspapers March 20 .. March 26 2004)

- 2d -
Teachers in Antwerp protest against the reduction of hours of “German” in
Flemish schools.
(cf. “Onderwijs duwt Duits opzij – Aantal lesuren in derde landstaal wordt
gehalveerd, Gazet van Antwerpen, March 27, 2004)

- 2e -
Walloons are pushing to get the “numerus clausus” on students in medicine
cancelled in the French language school system. Flemish people are not
agreeing and fear that this would distort on term the language quilibrium of
medical servicing in Brussels.
(cf. Wallonië bindt de strijd tegen numerus clausus aan, Gazet van
Antwerpen, April 3, 2004)

- 2f -
Some issues in the German language area:

- Issues around the budget, concerning the French-language schools for the
French language minority in that area. Should these schools be accessible or
not for French speaking people from outside the area (Grenz-Echo, March 24,
2004)

- Issues around nominating a French speaking assistant prosecutor at the
Court of Appeal in Liège, while there is apparently a more substantial need
of more German speaking staff (Grenz-Echo, March 12, 2004)

- Police reform: Bilingual policemen protest since they do not get the
premium for becoming bilingual (German-French) in the new system, while they
are already bilingual (Grenz-Echo, March 26, 2004)

- etc. etc.

- 3 -
So there is not much political space left over for promoting local languages
(as Walloon, Limburgish etc.). I also do not think there is a substantial
movement for these languages (a bit for Walloon and Luxembougish. In Limburg
the actions initiated by the provincial government died quietly). And since
there is no substantial movement, politicians cannot collect votes on this
issue, and focus on other stuff.

So I guess, this confirms somehow your conclusion.

Where politicians do not support, local commerce incidentally fills the gap.
For the group “’t Westvlaams gemiengeld vintekoor”, singing in the dialect
of Koekelare in West-Flanders, a new year CD “2003 is me zien oar!!” was
issued by the fruit shop Exofruits in Koekelare.
So when you want to support the progress of Flemish, please buy your apples
and oranges at Exofruits, Ringlaan 88, B 8680 Koekelare.

Regards,

Roger