LL-L "Language policies" 2004.04.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 13 02:30:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.APR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language policies

Folks,

I hope that those of you who celebrate them have been spending pleasant
Easter and Passover days.

I am in the process of writing a brief introduction to a Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) translation from Scots (for possible publication), and I want to be
sure that I get all the facts right.  For this reason I would appreciate
clarification from those of you who are more knowledgeable than I am.

Information about the latest status of Scots in Scotland and Northern
Ireland is sketchy and sometimes seemingly contradictory.  What is not clear
to me is if Scots has been actually recognized as official by the United
Kingdom, Scotland and Northern Ireland.  Some sources say it has not, while
others seem to imply that it has.  Is it a matter of merely the European
Union having identified Scots (apparently Scotland Scots and Northern
Ireland Scots separately) as needing to be recognized and the United Kingdom
so far not having acted on this?  Or (as is quite common in Europe) has the
United Kingdom actually recognized it but is dragging its feet with regard
to implementation (as implied by an article saying that the European Union
is calling on the United Kingdom to do so)? Is there a difference between
the United Kingdom and Scotland in this regard, or is this a matter only the
United Kingdom government can handle?

Thanks in advance for helping me with this.