LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 14 20:56:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.APR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: ezinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.14 (02) [E]

Hi all,

Criostóir, statistics are often not a true reflection in a country where
race and language is key to getting a piece of the scarce cake. That
was so before and is so after apartheid. The SA census latches Cape
Malays, Griquas and many other racially uncertain groups under the
'Coloured' umbrella. It is true that most of these people speak Afrikaans
as mother tongue, but it's a fallacy to assume that they are 'Coloured'.

A case in point: Parastatals and state subsidized business enterprises,
as a rule, group Cape Malays and Griquas under "Coloured" in their
annual reports, to comply with the legal requirement for racial equity
in staffing.

It reminds me of the 60's when my parents' butcher, an Egyptian, was
told that he could live in Lenasia because he looked 'Indian'.

Recently, one of my Cape Malay colleagues quipped: "Ons was te donker
voor '92, ma' nou is ons nie swart genoeg nie'.

And to get back to language issues, Oubaas Ron, language and politics
*are* closely related.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser