LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.14 (06) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 14 22:16:58 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.APR.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.14 (05) [E]

Elsie wrote:
"[S]tatistics are often not a true reflection in a country where
race and language is key to getting a piece of the scarce cake."

That may be so, but census statistics are the best indicators we have, bar
none, particularly given that people fill them in voluntarily and by
themselves (at least, that's the case here in Ireland, it may be different
in SA), thus reflecting their own self-perception and interests.

If you mistrust Statistics SA, please direct me to where you obtained the
data (whether quantitative or qualitative) for your statement that there are
more White than Coloured speakers of Afrikaans so I can see for myself.

Implying that a good portion of Coloured speakers of Afrikaans are
misattributed - that they are Griqua or Cape Malay - does not distract from
the fact that they are not White. In fact, your contribution reiterates that
reality.

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Afrikaans

Haai, Elsie!

> And to get back to language issues, Oubaas Ron, language and politics
> *are* closely related.

Of course they are, Elsie!  I should have been clearer about what I meant.

What I was trying to convey to Steve and others was that, whilst language
treatment, image and policies cannot be discussed in isolation, i.e., cannot
extricated from history, sociology and politics in general, it is within the
spirit of the List to *focus* on language and culture and to discuss only
those other historical, social and political issue that are relevant to this
focus.  Basically, I am trying to prevent us from being carried off into the
blue yonder of political discussions.  Not that I am opposed to political
discussions, mind you.  It's just that we have a certain focus and want to
keep it central.

"Oubaas," huh?  Hoekom voel ek my skielik so oud?  Of staan dit "ou..." in
hierdie val slegs figuratief vir "eers" of "groot" in 'n hiërarchies skema?

Groete,