LL-L "Resources" 2004.04.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Apr 16 18:04:40 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.APR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at citizensbank.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.04.16 (03) [E]

Hello all,

Roger wrote:

>.USA:
>http://www.euro-support.be/temp/usa_p39.jpg
>I'm surprised by the strong reported presence of French in New England...

True, I live in Manchester, the largest city in the state of New Hampshire
and French Canadian is one of the largest (if not THE largest) ethnic groups
in NH (as well as New England).

Being part Canadian French myself, I can tell you that it's not at all
uncommon to hear French (well, Québecois) spoken on the streets of
Manchester at any given time on any given day.

There are a number of French parishes, schools (my children attend St.
Anthony School - Ecolle St. Antoinne) where French is a part of this
elementary school's curriculum!

Many churches (including my parish of St. Anthony) offer at least one Mass
in French. St. Anthony's has a daily Mass in French as well.

The very first Credit Union in the US was started right here in Manchester
and yes, it's name as the sign says in French right under the English is "La
Casse Populaire Ste Marie" (St. Mary's Bank).

The French Canadian presence here in Manchester and surrounding areas is
quite large - most likely due to the textile mills where many an immigrant
found work at the turn of the century.

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA