LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.04.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 19 17:28:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at citizensbank.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.04.16 (09) [E]

Ed wrote:

D'accord, Mike.  When I went to Middlebury College in Vermont in the
1960's, it was very difficult for us flatlanders to tell in our freshman
dorm whether the cleaning ladies chatting outside our doors in the morning
were speaking French or Vermontese.  Howeva, afta a while we all learned to
speak and understand propa Vemont, ayup.  Howeva, I am quite shoa I'll neva
understand Joual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joual)

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Ayuh, sounds wicked good theyah Ed! Ouwa (our) accect is hahd fah those that
wan't bowahn (born) heeyah, 'specially the correct lilt of the voice when ya
jawin' away!

Though some may try and actu'ly achieve propah pronunciation of a word, it's
the normal speaking lilt of the voice that gives 'em away some wicked to
ouwa e-ahs (ears)!! 'Course dependin' on wheyah ya frum, Maine, Vermont or
Mass, will deternin' wha- chowah (what your) accent will sound like.

Greetin's frum N'Hampshah!

Mike S