LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.19 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 19 19:23:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.17 (01) [E]

Dear Stephen,
    Dealing with your last point first, Afrikaans, taal ofternot, dialek if
you insist, evolved - came into being, in my South Africa, as is not the
case with either English or Portuguese, & descendant 'dialects' have yet to
evolve in 'native use' from either of these, or at least are not recognised.
Afrikaans is indeed a native African language.
    Second point: The long and the short of it is that Afrikaners, British,
Portuguese, & the Bantu Peoples as well, came from outside this
sub-continent. So also did the Khoi-khoi, who are mostly Hamatic. Our only
'natives' according to YOUR most rigorous definition, are the San, who have
been here since Palaeolithic times - & perhaps they also 'moved in'. Take
note, Snorri Sturlusson, the Great, made a point that his own Germanic
peoples moved into their 'native' lands from somewhere else, citing place
names, which he noted were not of Teutonic origin. We have all come from
somewhere else: Even you.
    Third point: Read my letter. I do not arrogate the status of 'native' to
Afrikaners exclusively, but to Afrikaans - inclusively. I would be the last
to call a native English-speaker or one of any other language-group an
alien. By the way, what is the difference, in the S.African context, between
British & English (I assume you know something about our country)?
    Fourth: I see no need to elaborate on Afrikaners & 'native land' except
to remind you that I write of Afrikaners as 'native to the Land' not 'native
land of the Afrikaners' (that is a another can of worms). To build on your
own thesis, English 'evolved' from 'Old Saxon, Continental Anglish, Old
Jutish, Old Norse, Medieval French & Vulgate Latin', & those who spoke them,
all languages of Continental Europe. This does not make English a
Continental Language, or the speakers thereof a 'Continental' People.
    Oh, Stephen, please do not take offence, but write some more: I Love It.
Yrs Sincerely,
Mark