LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 19 23:15:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Reuben Epp <reuben at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (02) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Lexicon
>
> Hi, Pat!
>
> Sorry -- I dare not give you the answer, am leaving that to the more
> knowledgeable.
>
> Here's just a couple of mariginal etymological notes for you.
>
> Most speakers of Lowlands Saxon (Low German) will probably "understand"
> _stoepensitter_, though assumedly only in the sense of "someone who
> (habitually) sits on the steps of stairs," cognate to LS *_stoupensitter_
> (*<Stopensitter>).
>
> LS _stoup_ ~ _stöyp_ (<Stoop> ~ <Stööp>) means 'step' (of stairs and in
any
> statified situation, not "(foot)step," which is _stap_ (<Stapp>)), also
> 'tier', 'grade' or 'stage/step (in a development or process)'.
                    -                -                -            -
> Stoup_ ~ _stöyp_ seems to be absent from Eastern LS dialects.  They have
> stuuvt_ (<Stuuft> ~ <Stuft>, cf. German _Stufe_), which can also mean
> 'stub'.  Might this be a Slavonic-rooted item?
                -                -                -                -

Reuben Epp reuben at silk.net
replies 19th April '04

The word 'Stoop' is actually quite commonly-used in the Plautdietsch
dialect. It is a step or landing before the entrance to a house. A more
elaborate and larger step or landing, usually involving several steps and
a railing, is called a 'Schafott.' I believe the Schafott was quite common
in Prussia, subsequently also among Mennonites in Russia, and later in
America.

I am not familiar with the term "Stoopsetta' in Plautdietsch, but would
connect it quite naturally to 'stepsitter.'

Cheers!
Reuben Epp

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hello, dear Reuben!

It's great to hear from you again.

You wrote:

> A more
> elaborate and larger step or landing, usually involving several steps and
> a railing, is called a 'Schafott.' I believe the Schafott was quite common
> in Prussia, subsequently also among Mennonites in Russia, and later in
> America.

Ah!  Interesting!  In the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) and German dialects I
know, _Schafott_ ([ʃa'fɔt]) denotes a raised display platform, and the
stairs leading up to them, on which legitimized punitive murder (hanging,
beheading, etc.) was performed for public display.  I take it this latter
one is a specialized meaning.  Apparently, this word reached what is now
Germany in the form of Middle Dutch _scafaut_ and _scafot_, derived from Old
French _chafaud_ ~ _chafaut_ (> Modern French _échafaud_).  Cf. Modern Dutch
_schavot_, Afrikaans _skavot_ and English _scaffold_.

So, if in Mennonite LS (Plautdietsch) you say something like _Miene
Grootmutta stunt oppem Schafott_ ('My grandmother was standing on the
(raised) landing') someone in Germany is likely to assume that your
grandmother is going to be executed.  A great example of big
misunderstandings between two closely related language varieties!

(I wonder if Russian эшафот (_ešafot_) played a role in Plautdietsch.)