LL-L "Syntax" 2004.04.20 (01) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 20 14:37:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: Syntax

Dear speakers of Low Saxon,

here I come again with another question.
This time it is mostly about Plautdietsch but I am always
happy about information about other dialects as well.

In the bible translation into Plautdietsch, I have found the following two
examples of possessive constructions.

17 Oba Gott sie Dank daut jie {de Sind Sklowe} weare , oba jie sent fonn
Hoate jehuarsaum jewast to dee Leah dee junt jebrocht wort .

14 Jie sent jesaeajent wan aundre junt waejen Christus sien Nome schele ,
wiel daut meent daut {dee Jeist de Harlichkjeit en fonn Gott} opp ju rut.

My question is whether "de Sind Sklowe" is a natural way to say this in
Plautdietsch, or whether "de Sklowe fonn de Sind" or
something like that would rather be used. The same for "dee Jeist de
Harlichkjeit", does this sound like natural Plautdietsch to you? If yes, how
often are such constructions used in the spoken language?

My second question concerns examples like the following two:

20 dan derch de {Jesatses Woakje} woat kjeen Mensch fer Gott jeracht
jesproake woare

2 Dan daut {Jeistes Jesats} daut Laewe brinjt enn Christus Jesus haft mie
frie jemoakt fonn daut Jesats fonn Sind en Doot.

Do you think "Jesatses Woakje" is one word like "Jesatsbook" or two words
"the deeds of the law"?
What about "daut Jeistes Jesats"?

My last question is about what prepositions (i.e. words like fonn, fea, in,
bi, etc.) can be used to indicate possession.
Most of the time the preposition "von" is used in the dialects of Low Saxon:

daut Enj fonnet Jesats (the end of the law)

However, I have also found the following example in the Plautdietsch Bible:

3 Es dit nich dee Temmamaun , Marie aea Saen , {en Brooda aun Jakoobus , en
Jooses , en Judas , en Siemoon} ?

Is this construction with "aun" as in "en Brooda aun Jakoobus" often used in
Plautdietsch?
Are there other dialects of Low Saxon that have this possibility or can even
use other prepositions?

Thank you for all responses!

Jan Strunk
jstrunk at stanford.edu

----------

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>

Version in ENGLISH:

Dear speakers of Low Saxon (all dialects!!!),

I again need your help (and it won't probably be the last time).

After looking through my electronic collection of Low Saxon texts and
looking for some possessive constructions (that is constructions that
express
possession, e.g. mien book, dat auto van mien Vadder, etc.), I have some
questions about some rarer constructions.

1. a construction with a possessive pronoun e.g. "mien" following a noun:
Leewster mien (my darling)
alle Gnaden Dien (all your grace)
Vadder unser (our father)

They all appeared in poetic texts or religious formulas. Is this
construction still commonly
used in any dialect of Low Saxon at all?

I invite all native speakers to look at the examples below and to rate them.
+ --> perfectly fine
* --> sounds a little strange
** --> sounds wrong
*** --> sounds totally wrong

a. de Leewste dien (your darling)

b. de Leewste sien (his darling)

c. de Leewste uns (our darling)

d. de Leewste unser (our darling)

e. de Leewste juun (your darling)

f. de Leewste ehr (her/their darling)

---

g. de Mudder dien (your mother)

h. dat Hus dien (your house)

i. dat Hart dien (your heart)

---

j. de Leewsten dien (your loved ones)

k. de Leewsten diene (your loved ones)

Do you think that this construction should be considered as modern Low Saxon
at all?
Our maybe only German influence?

---

2. What do you think about the following genitive constructions? Are they
natural Low Saxon?

des Küniges Dochter (the king's daughter)

de generoal der Chinezen (the general of the Chinese)

Are such constructions still actively used in any dialects?

---

3. Can you use constructions like the following in your dialect? If yes, how
common are they?
    Please rate them again with the system above.

l. dat siene (his, e.g. talking about a car)

m. de siene (his, e.g. talking about his wife)

n. de sienen (his, e.g. talking about his children)

o. de sien (his, e.g. talking about his uncle)

p. dat miene (mine, e.g. talking about my house)

q. dat unse (ours, e.g. talking about our house)

r. dat jue / june (yours, e.g. talking about your house)

s. dat ehre (theirs, e.g. talking about their house)

t. dat jümehre (theirs, e.g. talking about their house)

u. dat siene Hus (his house)

v. de mienen Kinner (my children)

w. dat rode siene (his red one)

x. düsse unse Fründ (this friend of ours)

You can either send the answers to the list or directly
to me: jstrunk at stanford.edu.

Thank you very much!

Jan Strunk

Version op PLATT:

Leive Plattsnacker (egaol wat förn dialekt!!!),

Ek bruuk maol wier Jue Hölpe.

Naodem dat ek mi mien sammlung van neddersassische texten ankeken heff un
nao possessivkonstruktionen
söcht heff (tem bispill mien book, dat auto van mien vadder, usw.), heff ek
nu en paor fraogen över
wat raore konstruktionen.

1. En konstruktion met en possessivpronomen dat op en naomword folgt:
Leewster mien (= mien Leewster)
alle Gnaden Dien (= alle diene Gnaden)
Vadder unser (= unse Vadder)

Dei heff ik all in gedichten un religiöse texten funnen. Wärd düese
konstruktion nog in wecke dialekten
van't Platt faker bruukt?

Dat wöör schön wen'n paor de ehr mudderspraoke Platt is, even de bispillen
ünner ankiken wörn un seggen
wu de sik anhöört.
+ --> heel good
* --> hört sik'n beetken raor an
** --> hört sik falsch an
*** --> hört sik heel falsch an

a. de Leewste dien (=dien Leewste)

b. de Leewste sien (=sien Leewste)

c. de Leewste uns (= uns Leewste)

d. de Leewste unser (= uns Leewste)

e. de Leewste juun (= jun Leewste)

f. de Leewste ehr (= ehr Leewste)

---

g. de Mudder dien (dien Mudder)

h. dat Hus dien (dien Hus)

i. dat Hart dien (dien Hart)

---

j. de Leewsten dien (diene Leewsten)

k. de Leewsten diene (diene Leewsten)

Wat dücht ju is dat överhaupt dat Platt van vandage? Of is dat villicht
bloots van't Haugdüütsche övernomen....

---

2. Wu gefallt Ju de folgende konstruktionen? Is dat natürlichet Platt?

des Küniges Dochter (de dochter van den Künig)

de generoal der Chinezen (de generaol van de Chinesen)

Wäd socke konstruktionen nog in wecke dialekten faker bruukt?

---

3. Könnt Ji de folgende konstruktionen in Juen dialekt bruken? Wenn Ji dat
könnt, wo faken wäd dei bruukt?
    Bittschön seggt maol wier wu de bispillen sik anhört (mit dat System van
boven).

l. dat siene (sien, tem Bispill sien Auto)

m. de siene (sien, tem Bispill sien Fru)

n. de sienen (siene, tem Bispill siene Kinner)

o. de sien (sien, tem Bispill sin onkel)

p. dat miene (mient, tem Bispill mien Hus)

q. dat unse (unset, , tem Bispill uns Hus)

r. dat jue / june (juet, tem Bispill jue Hus)

s. dat ehre (ehrt, tem Bispill ehr Hus)

t. dat jümehre (jümehrt, , tem Bispill jümehr Hus)

u. dat siene Hus (= sien Hus)

v. de mienen Kinner (= miene Kinner)

w. dat rode siene (= dat rode van mie)

x. düsse unse Fründ (= düsse Fründ van uns)

De antern könnt Ji an de Liste of direkt nao mi
stüren: jstrunk at stanford.edu

Velen Dank!

Jan Strunk

Version auf DEUTSCH:

Liebe Plattsprecher (egal welchen Dialekts),

Ich brauche mal wieder Ihre Hilfe (und wahrscheinlich nicht das letzte
Mal...).

Nachdem ich meine Sammlung von niederdeutschen Texten durchgeschaut habe und
nach Possessivkonstruktionen wie z.B. mien book, dat auto van mien Vadder,
etc. gesucht habe,
habe ich ein paar Fragen über einige seltenere Konstruktionen.

1. eine Konstruktion mit einem Possessivpronomen, das auf das Nomen folgt.
Leewster mien (mein Liebster, Liebster mein)
alle Gnaden Dien (all Deine Gnade)
Vadder unser (Vater unser, unser Vater)

Beispiele für diese Konstruktionen habe ich nur in Gedichten und in
biblischen Texten gefunden.
Wird diese Konstruktion überhaupt noch in irgendeinem Dialekt aktiv benutzt?

Ich möchte alle Muttersprachler einladen, sich die folgenden Beispiele
anzugucken und zu bewerten.
+ --> einwandfrei
* --> hört sich komisch an
** --> hört sich falsch an
*** --> hört sich total falsch an

a. de Leewste dien (dein Liebster)

b. de Leewste sien (sein Liebster)

c. de Leewste uns (unser Liebster)

d. de Leewste unser (unser Liebster)

e. de Leewste juun (euer Liebster)

f. de Leewste ehr (ihr Liebster)

---

g. de Mudder dien (deine Mutter)

h. dat Hus dien (dein Haus)

i. dat Hart dien (dein Herz)

---

j. de Leewsten dien (deine Liebsten)

k. de Leewsten diene (deine Liebsten)

Meinen Sie, dass diese Konstruktion zum heutigen Platt gehört oder nicht?
Oder ist sie vielleicht nur hochdeutscher Einfluss?

---

2. Was halten Sie von den folgenden Genitivkonstruktionen? Sind sie
natürliches Platt?

des Küniges Dochter (die Tochter des Königs)

de generoal der Chinezen (der General der Chinesen)

Werden solche Konstruktionen in Ihrem Dialekt noch aktiv gebraucht?

---

3. Können Sie die folgenden Konstruktionen in ihrem Dialekt benutzen? Wenn
ja, wie häufig kommen sie vor?
    Bitte bewerten Sie die Beispiele wieder mit dem System von oben.

l. dat siene (wenn z.B. von seinem Auto die Rede ist)

m. de siene (wenn z.B. von seiner Frau die Rede ist)

n. de sienen (wenn z.B. von seinen Kindern die Rede ist)

o. de sien (wenn z.B. von seinem Onkel die Rede ist)

p. dat miene (wenn z.B. von meinem Auto die Rede ist)

q. dat unse (wenn z.B. von unserem Auto die Rede ist)

r. dat jue / june (wenn z.B. von eurem Auto die Rede ist)

s. dat ehre (wenn z.B. von ihrem Auto die Rede ist)

t. dat jümehre (wenn z.B. von ihrem Auto die Rede ist)

u. dat siene Hus (sein Haus)

v. de mienen Kinner (meine Kinder)

w. dat rode siene (sein rotes..., z.B. Auto)

x. düsse unse Fründ (dieser Freund von uns)

Antworten bitte entweder an die Liste oder direkt an meine Emailadresse:
jstrunk at stanford.edu

Vielen Dank!

Jan Strunk