LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 20 15:37:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Utz H. Woltmann <UWoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (02) [E]

Moin Ron

> Cf. Polish _stopa_ 'foot' (= measure), _stopieÅ"_ 'degree', 'step' (in
> architecture), _stopienowy_ 'gradually' (LS loan or native?)

I think you mean _stopniowy_ for 'gradually'.

Best regards
Utz

--
Utz H. Woltmann
Buchenweg 24

----------

From: Hugo Zweep <hugo.zweep at valuersillawarra.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (05) [E]

Watched an interview with Mel Brooks on Australian television last night. He
spoke of his upbringing in New York and described how people would sit on
their stoop/stoep.

Hugo Zweep

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (07) [E]

Dear All,

The german 'hocken' to sit or squat, I assume is
related to the word 'hunkers' (honkas in Northumbrian)
used in the UK?

tarra fo' noo,

Glenn Simpson
Northumbrian Language Society

----------

From: ezinsser at icon.co.za <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Haai almal,

The Afrikaans 'stoep' is a very large open but roofed veranda, and often
extending right
around the house. One would have pots with ferns hanging from the ceilings,
large tubs
with begonias and perhaps a daybed amongst the coffee tables and wicker or
other
comfortable seating. The modern stoep floor is covered with slate or
ceramic/clay tiles
but many still display the usual bright red floor polish.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: ezinsser at icon.co.za <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (03) [E]

Haai almal,

Pat, I agree with Mark re. 'stoepsitter'. I've also heard the word
being used begrudgingly for a successful but laid back farmer.

>'Gentleman Farmer' who just sits on his stoep & watches his
farm farm itself.

Groete,
Elsie
Zinsser

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (06) [E]

I'm surprised we don't have this word "stepsitter" in English. What a useful
one it would be. What other Afrikaans/Continental Lowlandic terms could be
calqued into English?

Go raibh maith agaibh

Criostóir.

----------

From: Brian Holton <ctbah at polyu.edu.hk>

my grandfather used to refer to the old guys who sat around the Market
Square in Selkirk all day as "fresh air inspectors"

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Syntax

Moin, Utz uut't Ole Land!  Willkamen mang de "Snackers" up de List!

> I think you mean _stopniowy_ for 'gradually'.

I do indeed.  Dziękuję a przepraszam.

Elsie:

> The Afrikaans 'stoep' is a very large open but roofed veranda, and often
> extending right around the house.

Isn't _stoep_ (which I assume is used in South African English as well)
"simply" the South African equivalent of "porch"?  The types of porch you
described are also common in Australia and in the southern United States,
are also found in some parts of the Carribean and Latin America (_porche_,
_portal_).  I suppose it's an ideal hot-weather solution.

Brian:

> my grandfather used to refer to the old guys who sat around the Market
> Square in Selkirk all day as "fresh air inspectors"

That's brilliant!

Críostóir:

> I'm surprised we don't have this word "stepsitter" in English. What
> a useful one it would be. What other Afrikaans/Continental Lowlandic
> terms could be calqued into English?

Hmmm ... A tall order, mostly because there's such an enormous pool of
candidates.  I'm sure I'll come up with some as we go.

Yesterday Holger mentioned German _Stubenhocker_ describing someone who sits
at home all the time, very often used for children that are "nerdy," i.e.,
read and study in their rooms even when the weather is fine.
"Stay-at-home," which is used in some English dialects, may partly capture
this, as may Spanish when a person is described as being _muy casera_.  But
I feel they aren't quite there.

What may also play into the mental picture is that German _Hocker_ doesn't
only mean 'sitter' or 'squatter' (_hocken_ being used for 'to sit' mostly in
southwestern dialects) but also 'stool', namely a stool on which you sit,
usually in a squatting position.

In Lowlands Saxon (Low German) the equivalents of German _Stubenhocker_ are
_stuvenstinker_ (<Stuvenstinker> "room stinker," "chamber stinker") and
_soksitter_ (<Socksitter> "sock sitter").  I have heard the loan
_Stubenstinker_ used in Missingsch (German with LS substrates) as well.
(The Lower Elbe dialects have _-b-_ where other dialects have _-v-_.)  I
suppose the idea is that the person (typically a child) stinks up the room
instead of being out in the fresh air.  Related to that must be the
expression _uut-stinken_ (<utstinken>), Missingsch _ausstinken_, literally
"to stink out" or better "to be stunk out," in other words "to be aired out
outside after having sat in the room all day," probably also connoting "to
quit stinking up the room."

So, Críostóir, how about *"chamber stinker" for a start?  ;-)

In a more general way, an adult that is -- usually by choice -- completely
housebound is described in LS as _gayt nich tou kark noch tou markt_ (<geiht
nich to Kark noch to Markt> "goes neither to church nor to the market").