LL-L "Etymology" 2004.04.20 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 20 22:08:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: Etymology

I can confirm both the words 'bakvis' and 'oubaas'.  'Bakvis'
as a term for a young, giggly girl, aged 14 - 17 or so, I as-
sociate with my mother's generation (born 1915), so it must
have been prevalent in the late 20's and 30's.  It has comp-
letely disappeared now as far as I know.

The term 'Oubaas' I remember from my short and largely un-
impressive stint as a boyscout in the late 50's, early 60s.
I believe it was the supreme leader of the group, someone
we lowly scouts rarely got to see, let alone talk to.  Even
at that age, we (at least I) realized it was a loan from
Afrikaans.

Gustaaf

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks a lot, Fred.

Since, like our friend the Global Moose (Gabriele Kahn), influenced by time
and place, I am not exactly into military or paramilitary things, and I
found boy scouts scary when I was a child, I cling to the hope that Elsie
(who knows me well enough for that matter) did not picture me as a commander
with bandana and shorts but instead used _oubaas_ in the original, more
general Afrikaans sense: a person senior in years or rank.  Well, but I may
have a conflict even there.  I am not the oldest person on LL-L, and I am
not into hierarchical structures either (certainly would not want to create
one).  What to do?  8>

Besides, I am happy to say that supervisory duties are minimal on LL-L as
far discussions lists go.  (Let's hope it stays that way!)  Our recent
discussion about Afrikaans and Afrikaners, teetering near the abyss at
times, may serve as an excellent example of this.  Hat off to all of you who
participated!  You demonstrated that folks from all over the world, coming
from all sorts of backgrounds and with all sorts of beliefs and ideas, can
have a good discussion about a rather touchy subject matter without
exploding all over the place.  At the very least, we showed each other that
there is more than one way of looking at the issues.  Unless I am totally
deluded, I sensed vibes of compassion and respect going back and forth,
these being two essential ingredients. Thanks to all of you for your support
and for your exemplary conduct!

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.04.20 (07) [E]

At 01:46 PM 04/20/04 -0700, Fred van Brederode wrote:

>(Zeeland largely participated in the VOC)

I didn't know what VOC stood for, and there was no proper antecedent.  So
on behalf of those other subscribers to shy to admit their
ignorance:  http://library.thinkquest.org/26488/nl/inleiding.html

Ed Alexander