LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 20 22:11:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.APR.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (05) [A/E]

Living in those kinds of buildings as a kid in Brooklyn, the stoop was an
integral part of our
existence, both as a place to sit outside, as well as the major prop in a
very important Brooklyn street game, stoop ball, in which one person would
hit the ball off the stoop and try to catch it.  I believe it was 5 points
for a bounce, 10 points on the fly (on the full), and 25 points if you hit
it off the point of the stair and caught it on the fly.  It required the use
of either a cheap 15 cent rubber ball, or, if you had come into big money, a
25 cent Spalding (called a "spaldeen" in the vernacular).  Great game.
In the early 80's I taught it to my son who happened to enjoy a small stoop
at the entrance to the house in West Los Angeles.  The hardest part was
getting him to pronounced "stoop ball" correctly (think Brooklyn).
Stan