LL-L "Etymology" 2004.04.21 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 21 14:48:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.APR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (09) [E]

Hello all,

A Dutch word kil meaning "small running stream" is unknown to me.

Best regards,

Roger

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (hunkers)

Dear Ron,

'Hunkers' is an 'english' word, I don't think I made
any Northumbrian claim on it? - although we say it
differently. Hunkers is still used here probably becos
it was used extensively in the pitmatic dialect of
Northumbrian (i.e. dialect used in mining), i.e. 'doon
urn 'ees honkas' (down on his hunkers). Haven't heard
it used much elsewhere in England or rest of UK but it
would be interesting to know if it is.

It's interesting how older english words formerly used
widely across english speaking world survive only in
certain localities.

Glenn

----------

From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20

Dear Ruth & Mark (Dreyer),

Interesting stuff - gooi & 'hoy' do seem to be linked.
The full translation would be: 'hoy me thi baal' or
'hoy is thi baal'. Havercake in broad Northumbrian
would be 'hevorcyek'.

Let me try some others of the top of my head:

Clothes - northumbrian = 'Claes' or 'clayes'
Cry baby or whinger - 'Beiler' or 'Beilah'
Red Hot - 'Reed Het'

The person you spoke to was obviously from the
Northumberland and Tyneside area of North East
England.

Keep ahaad (a hold),
Glenn Simpson

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (03) [E]

We say hunker down when we need to get down to brass tacks.