LL-L "Etymology" 2004.04.21 (14) [D/E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 21 22:00:27 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.APR.2004 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.04.21 (01) [E]

> From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (hunkers)
>
> Dear Ron,
>
> 'Hunkers' is an 'english' word, I don't think I made
> any Northumbrian claim on it? - although we say it
> differently. Hunkers is still used here probably becos
> it was used extensively in the pitmatic dialect of
> Northumbrian (i.e. dialect used in mining), i.e. 'doon
> urn 'ees honkas' (down on his hunkers). Haven't heard
> it used much elsewhere in England or rest of UK but it
> would be interesting to know if it is.
>
> It's interesting how older english words formerly used
> widely across english speaking world survive only in
> certain localities.
>
> Glenn

As an addition: in West Frisian there is the expression "yn 'e hoksen sitte"
for
"sit doon urn ees honkas", and Dutch "op je hurken zitten". This might be
related as well
(seems quite likely...). "hokse" means Dutch "knieholte" (so the bit at the
back of the knee).
In the Grut Wurdboek fan 'e Fryske Taal there is a reference to 2 papers
(one by Gosses, another by Hoekema) where the etymology is discussed.
Also where English (and Dutch) use "heels" in the expression "to be on
someone's heels" (iemand op de hielen zitten", in Frisian we say "ien efter
(OR op) de hoksen sitte".

Henno Brandsma