LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.22 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 22 15:21:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Kevin Caldwell <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.20 (02) [E/LS]

> From: Hugo Zweep <hugo.zweep at valuersillawarra.com.au>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (05) [E]
>
> Watched an interview with Mel Brooks on Australian television last night.
> He
> spoke of his upbringing in New York and described how people would sit on
> their stoop/stoep.
>
> Hugo Zweep

Yes, "stoop" is a fairly common word in the US, referring to a small porch,
usually of concrete or stone, at the top of a few steps.

> From: Glenn Simpson <westwylam at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (07) [E]
>
> Dear All,
>
> The german 'hocken' to sit or squat, I assume is
> related to the word 'hunkers' (honkas in Northumbrian)
> used in the UK?

And perhaps English "hunker down"?  And "haunches", and maybe "hock," as in
"ham hock"?

> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.19 (06) [E]
>

> I'm surprised we don't have this word "stepsitter" in English. What a
> useful
> one it would be.

In the US, I would expect it to be "stoopsitter."  It sounds so natural that
it seems like it's already a word.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Syntax
> Críostóir:
>
> > I'm surprised we don't have this word "stepsitter" in English. What
> > a useful one it would be. What other Afrikaans/Continental Lowlandic
> > terms could be calqued into English?
>
> Hmmm ... A tall order, mostly because there's such an enormous pool of
> candidates.  I'm sure I'll come up with some as we go.
>
> Yesterday Holger mentioned German _Stubenhocker_ describing someone who
> sits
> at home all the time, very often used for children that are "nerdy," i.e.,
> read and study in their rooms even when the weather is fine.
> "Stay-at-home," which is used in some English dialects, may partly capture
> this, as may Spanish when a person is described as being _muy casera_.
> But
> I feel they aren't quite there.

In the US, such people (such as children who like to stay inside rather than
spend time with friends) are often called "homebodies."  If their preferred
activity is watching TV, they are called "couch potatoes."  People who are
physically unable to get out of the house (due to illness, for instance) are
usually called "shut-ins."

Kevin Caldwell (kcaldwell31 at comcast.net)