LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.04.22 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 22 20:46:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.04.22 (08) [E]

Elsie wrote:
"Fred, keep in mind that Dutch is not that well understood by your average
Afrikaans speaker, yet a Dutch speaker might like to assume that the
Afrikaans speaker should understand everything because of the language ties.
They might have been embarrassed because you assumed that they understood
all your Dutch!"

Would I be right in characterising the relationship between Afrikaans and
standard Dutch as similar to that between standard English and Jamaican
Creole ('Patois')? For English speakers, the hardest aspect of Patois to
understand is the phonology, rather than the syntax or lexicon.

At least, I think so!

Go raibh maith agat

Criostóir.

----------

From: Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.04.22 (06) [E]

Dear All

The material presented under the subject heading below is from the book
_Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in North america_ by historian David
Hackett Fischer (Oxford University Press, 1989).  Only some of its
information is reliable, so Lowlanders are cautioned about citing it as
authoritative.  Usages like "they is judged" (i.e. "is" with the plural
pronoun "they") are unknown in American English.  Many of the pronunciations
cited are either Americanisms (e.g. "hard" and "far" for "hired" and "fire")
that are not documented, so far as I am aware, in the British Isles, or are
so general in the U.S. (e.g. "critter" for "creature" and "rassel" for
"wrestle") that there is little point in calling them features of the
"Highland English" of the U.S.

Some forms represent valid connections between Scotland/Ireland and the
Highlands of the U.S., but not very many of them.  Fischer draws very few
good sources to provide or check his evidence.  So I'd advise readers of
this list to be careful in using his material.

Michael Montgomery
Univ. of South Carolina
President, american Dialect Society

=== message truncated ===