LL-L "Terms of address" 2004.04.22 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 22 23:55:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Terms of address" 2004.04.22 (10) [E]

Ron wrote:

> This reminds me of my initial struggle against being addressed and
referred
> to as _Oom_ (< Dutch for 'uncle') in Indonesia (when I was in my early
> thirties), even by elderly people, even in Indonesian and Javanese.  I
> didn't exactly feel comfortable with the association with colonialism.

Oh man... I could NEVER get used to being called "Ma'am" in the USA (I lived
on the West Coast from the age of 32 to 40). I always had this vision of
Hoss Cartwright lifting his hat with an endearing little grin... didn't know
whether to laugh or cry. I always perceived that it was said in a rather
aggressive manner, too... the kind of in-your-face "politeness" you receive
from, let's say, a shop attendant who thinks you've got a screw loose (like
all those "baggers" in Supermarkets whom I forced to keep their incompetent
paws off my groceries because I had brought my own environment friendly
cloth bags and liked to pack them myself, and properly).

Same with "Sir" these days, I think, outside of the military. It's the
American way to let you know they think you're thoroughly obnoxious and
they're saints to put up with you... or is it just me? :-)

Gabriele Kahn