LL-L "Terminology" 2004.04.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 26 22:36:07 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Dave Singleton <davidsin at pt.lu>
Subject: LL-L "Terminology" 2004.04.26 [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Terminology
>
> Hi, Dave!
>
> Good to hear from you again.
Hi Ron -- alles paletti ??

> I don't know if this helps at all, but let me just say what I suspect
> about
> these terms:
>
> > Trace
> >From French _trace_ 'trail', 'track', 'line of steps'
Trace was also used in English for the reins of work horses, I believe
but this does not point to any sort of timed movement, it did have to fit
the music, either as a Trace or double Trace

> > Trett
> >From French _traite_ 'stretch (of a road)', 'stage (of a journey)', 'leg
(of
> a trip)' ('going forward'?)
to go forward the dancer would usually read "single" or "double" and for
backwards they would have "single" or "double" "back(wards)" or
reverse

> > Retrett
> >From French _retraite_ 'withdrawal' ('going backward'?) [> retreat]
This is where the question begs why "retrett bake" ?

> What type of dancing is this?  Morris Dance?
This is early English "Court(not necessarily Royal)" dancing taken more
from the Italian style of the period 1450-1500, for 2/3 people or groups
of 2/3, one is not sure of anything apart from it was discovered in
Derbyshire (UK) in the Matlock Records office during 1995, close to
where the Gresley household had a residence at Haddon Hall, it comes
from a personal book of one John Banys, who wrote the steps down for
some 26 dances, but only the music for 8 of them

> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron
These words may have their roots anywhere !! from Italy to Poland to
Rumania to India or maybe even Lowlands platt to Scottish vernacular --
who knows !! but it will have to make sense for the period of 1480 to
1520

Have fun and thanks for the suggestions

Dave Singleton