LL-L "Syntax" 2004.04.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 28 15:21:22 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.04.25 (03) [E]

Beste Lowlanders,

I wrote earlier:
> From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Semantics
>
>  Leive Lüe,
>
> what do the Low Saxon speakers among you think about the following
examples:

> 1) een Manns Dochter
> Is this a possible phrase in your dialect and can it mean:
> a) the daughter of one specific man
> b) the daughter of any man in general
>
> 2) ne Manns Dochter
> Is this this a possible phrase in your dialect and what would it mean?
> a) the daughter of one specific man
> b) the daughter of any man in general
>
> In my corpus I have found an interesting example from Plautdietsch:
> daut Jeistes Jesats --> the law of the spirit
>
> I would analyze this as a compound noun, i.e. Jeistes Jesats is one word.
> To test this, it would be interesting to know whether any of the following
> would
> be possible phrases in Plautdietsch:
>
> 1. daut fauste Jeistes Jesats
> 2. daut Jeistes fauste Jesats
> 3. daut Jeistes faustet Jesats

I am sorry that I am asking all those questions lately without discussing
that much.
But I am currently writing on my MA thesis about some aspects of the Grammar
of Low Saxon and of course I don't want to get anything wrong. That's why I
keep asking
these questions.
So, if anyone has any opinion on the questions above, I'd be very grateful
for some comments by Low Saxon speakers.

I also have two more questions:

1. in East Frisian the possessive pronoun "hör" is used where other dialects
use "ehr". Does the form of "hör" change depending on the following word?
 for example "hörn Mann", "höre Kinner"?

2. Can you say things like: "de Minschen all ehr Larm" meaning "all the
noise of the people"?
e.g. "de Minschen all ehr Larm bruust in mien Ohr"?

Thanks!

Jan Strunk
jstrunk at stanford.edu