LL-L "idiomatica" 2004.08.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 2 07:13:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 2.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

Onderwerp: "Idiomatica"
Van: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>

To go to Holland, or  Holland walkers  LS:Holland Gangers
Subject Etymology

Dear Reinhard,
 I would like to respond on your theory of "Holland gangers"and will do
my very best to  enlight.  I have another proved explanation on that. In
the western parts of Lower Saxony as well as in Westphalia the
expression "to go to Holland", usually did not mean something negative
like to disappear. During the whole  18 th and 19th century and before
in the "Golden Century" dutch: het "Gouden Eeuw",  men and less women
tried to get work  in Holland  as season workers or to sell their goods
especially textiles. These guys wore some kind between a big willow
basket and rucksack for transporting their goods. They called it "Kiepe"
 related to the English word "to keep".  In Münster you can find a
memorial of such a trader. Of course, not all of them were Holland
walkers. But the border was as open as now and people tried to make
their businesses whereever it was possible. Language was not a problem.
Lowlanders did understand each other, what a challenge ! A well known
chain store in Europe (C& A ) has its  roots in this tradition.  The
Netherland were a more wealthy trading nation as North Germany. Of
course many disappeared for different reasons too. But most of them got
back to their families to do the same the year coming up. I myself do
have distant relatives from that time.in Holland.

So I have to resume, the expression " Holland Gangers" has not
necessarerely a negative touch as the saying; "er geht über den Deister
" or er geht über die Wupper"

Sincerely  Heinrich Becker