LL-L "resources" 2004.08.02 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 2 07:15:28 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 2.AUG.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

Onderwerp: "Resources"
Van: "Mike" <botas at club-internet.fr>

Hi Lowlanders,

hi Ron, you wrote:
"Pelignian or Pelasgian, an Italic (thus Romance) variety (or group of
varieties) belonging to the Sabellic group, thus akin to Umbrian and Oscan
(Osco-Umbrian), Sabine, etc., also a relative of Etruscan, Picene,
Faliscan, Messapic, Volscian, etc., and the surviving Latinian (or
Latinic) varieties Latin, Italian, Ligurian, Ladin, Friulian, Rhaetic (>
Rhaeto-Romansch), Venetic (> Venetian, Veneto), Istriot, Istro-Romanian,
Arumansh and Romanian, all of the above used in Italy, Croatia,
Switzerland, Greece, Romania and Moldova."

I am ashamed to admit that I did 9 years of 8-lessons-a-week Latin in high
school, and I feel very embarrassed to ask the following stupid questions
(stupid, because, I guess, the teachers told us everything about the
A.C.I. but nothing about the linguistic environment of ancient Italy,
maybe they were ignorant of it themselves). But they told us that Etruscan
was not an Italic language, not even Indo-European. Do I take it from your
explanations that it was indeed an Italic language?
Secondly, we were told in school that all living Romance languages stem
from Latin (hence their name). Do I take it that there are languages alive
today that do not stem from Latin but from other Italic languages (of
which Latin was but one dialect)?
Where, on internet, can I learn more about this?

Mike Wintzer