LL-L "language varieties" 2004.08.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 2 07:21:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 2.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

Onderwerp: "Language varieties"
Van: "HALLS Haeng-Cho" <zzhhalls at student.uq.edu.au>

>Hi all,
>
>does anybody know how to correctly pronounce the letter G in Old >Saxon?
How is it pronounced in the following words?

>gi, gespon, manega, euangelium, manag, helagna, alomahtig
>
>Thanks,
>Markus

directly from "Old English - Grammar & Reader" by Robert E. Diamond,
Detroit 1970:

In Old English spelling, the letter g represented four different sounds.
Of these, the most frequent and important are the g sound of gun and the y
sound of yet.
1. As an aid to beginning students. the palatalized g sound (y) will be
represented by s distinct form of the letter, the flat-topped z. Examples:
zéar, zieldan, on-zinnan.
2. The ordinary round g willbe used to indicate the voiced back stop, as
in gold, Examples: gamol, gráp, gód.

In some words, g in combination with n indicated the sound /ng/, as
in Modern English finger (it was never simply the sound /ng/ as in singer)..
Examples: singan, wang, leornung
3. In many words, g in combination with n indicated the sound /nj/ =ng as
in singe or hinge.
4. A fourth sound represented by g in Old English is the sound of g
between back vowels. This sound is something like the g in German 'sagen'
(High German sound Hannover area), somewhre between an ordinary g and a w
sound.
Example: fugol, dagum. (I thought more like a voiced gutteral).
p. 12. Meine Kommentare in Klammern.

-----------------------

Onderwerp: west-flemish
Van: "wartje" <wartje at skynet.be>

hi there,does anybody knows if the word "taloore" west-flemish
(lat.teljoris) means in our dialect 'plate', in Dutch: 'bord',
if this word or a variation is used in other languages.
it is a common word in our dialect,i also found it in old books & old
dictionairies 'teljoor': zuid nederlands word zelden gebruikt

de groeten   yves

Onderwerp: teleur
Van: "mathieu van woerkom" <mathieu at brabants.org>

Hoi Yves,

In Limburgish we also know the word 'teleur' which means 'plate'. I know
it is used in the area of Maastricht, but I'm not sure if it is also
common in other areas in Limburg...

Regards,
Mathieu