LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 5 19:23:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 5.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

Onderwerp: Scandinavian
Van: "Erik Guldager Nielsen" <eguldager at mail-online.dk>

I know that Scandinavian is not  a topic for the Lowlands-L, but I think
it should be considering the fact that Scandinavians and Englishmen
understood one another at the times of the Vikings much like Swedes and
Danes understand one another today (if they are willing to).
Basic English words such as for example 'give',
'take' and 'them' are of Scandinavian origin.
The Scandinavian impact on Scots has been even greater and is responsible
for some of the differences between English and Scots.
More on this issue see:

Kries, Susanne
  Skandinavisch-schottische Sprachbeziehungen im Mittelalter : der
  altnordische Lehneinfluss / Susanne Kries. - Odense : University Press
  of Southern Denmark, 2003. - XII, 500 s. : ill. - (North-Western
  European language evolution. Supplement ; vol. 20). - (427.9411)
  Sammendrag på engelsk
  ISBN 87-7838-873-2 (h.)

One of  the reasons why English and Scandinavian took separate ways was
that fact that  English was creolised by centuries of French influence and
Scandinavian by centuries of Low German influence. Scandinavian (= Danish,
Swedish and Norwegian) was transformed  in vocabulary and grammar by Low
German to a degree that Scandinavians no longer understand Icelanders who
have kept the old (Viking) tongue. Though closely related to Icelandic it
is much easier for Scandinavians to understand Low German and read Dutch
than Icelandic.
I discovered that many years ago when I by accident watched the 'Talk
op Platt' talk show on NDR (=North German BBC) and realized that this was
I language I understood even though I had never learned it. Unfortunately
Low German is practically unknown to most Scandinavians because it is not
mentioned in schools (though it ought to both in mother tongue classes and
German classes). It is also a secret language. If Scandinavians visit
Northern Germany everybody will speak German to them although many of them
would understand more if they were spoken to in Low German!

It is also hard to avoid Scandinavian on this list as Scandinavian words
keeps popping up. Recently for example 'edderkop' (spider) and 'have'
(garden) (Danish) and 'gardstun' (the area around the farm(houses)
(Norwegian).

Erik Guldager Nielsen (who by the way is Scandinavian)