LL-L "Introduction" 2004.08.10 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 10 22:55:02 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.AUG.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Introduction

Dear Lowlanders,

I've only recently joined the list, so I thought it best to introduce
myself.

My name is Grietje Menger. I was born in Nijeholtpade, and if anyone knows
where that is, they'll know straight away why I should be on the list ;-)

Nijeholtpade lies in the region called De Stellingwerven and my "mother
tongue" is therefore Stellingwarfs dialect. Frysk (Westerlauers Frisian) was
part of my life as a matter of course. Though in the region Frysk would (and
is) hardly be spoken, newspapers, neighbours, in-laws and the like would
speak it. As of age six, upon going to primary school, my daily language
changed to Dutch, though in family situations Stellingwarfs would still be
preferred. Though I can read, understand and speak both, I can't write them,
that's just never been part of the make-up.

I've always had an interest in languages and read Scandinavian Languages &
Literature at university (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen) though I dropped out
in sight of the finish line in favour of a "proper" job. But Norwegian was
my primary language and the others more as passive knowledge and a bit of
Old Norse thrown in for good measure.

In 2002 I moved to Scotland, a town called Crieff (considered to be a
lowlands town) just on the southside of the Highlands. I'm trying to learn a
bit of Gaelic, but that's proved hard. I already have a reasonable knowledge
of Welsh, so beginners grammar is covered for the most part as there are
many similarities between the two languages, but I'm not making any headway
yet on the conversational Gaelic.

The other week I went to Orkney (for work) and came across a book called The
Collected Orkney Dialect Tales by C.M. Costie. I wanted to reproduce one of
the stories in a newsletter I'm currently editing, so I tried to find on the
Internet where I could get permission (as this was a private, non ISBN
registered, publication). That's how I came across Lowlands-L. (The
newsletter I'm editing is called LinguaSIGnal, a free newsletter for members
of Lingua, a British Mensa Special Interest Group.) Orkney dialect is great,
specially if you read it out loud. Nice Norwegian influences (the story I'm
reproducing has a lady called "Kjerstic" in it) and nice "Scotsisms" ('Weel,
ae fine summer night he cam doon thick ruck, an' Jock hid been lyan apae the
sea a' day.')

I'm by no means a linguistic scholar, merely an interested amateur who knows
little tidbits of this, that and the other, a bit like a patchwork quilt.
And no, Reinhard, photogenic I'm NOT, so that little ploy goes out of the
window ;-)

I'm looking forward to reading all the good stuff that undoubtedly comes out
of this group.

Groetnis ùt Crieff,
Grietje

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>

Hi again, Grietje!

So now you turn out to be of Lowlands-Saxon- and Frisian-speaking background
as well.*  Well, how Lowlandic can anyone be?  In other words, yes, you and
the List seem to a true match.

*[For those who aren't already aware of it, the Stellingwerven is an area
within Fryslân (Netherlands Friesland) in which Saxon varieties on Frisian
substrates are traditionally used.  I believe we have other speakers of such
varieties on the List.]

> And no, Reinhard, photogenic I'm NOT, so that little ploy goes out of the
> window ;-) *

Agh, that's what almost everyone says.  I don't give up hope that easily.

*[Folks, in an off-list exchange I joked saying that with all those
Lowlandic attributes Grietje now really only needs to be photogenic to serve
as the Lowlands-L poster child.  Incidentally, she wrote to me asking if
introductions of new members are customerary.  I told her that they are
strongly encouraged, though few do it.  Perhaps I should add a sentence of
encouragement to the welcoming message that is sent out automatically.]