LL-L "Etymology" 2004.08.12 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 13 01:40:07 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Etymology

I can't resist passing this on - hot off the press (or at least the boob
tube).

I heard a TV speaker say "midrift" for "midriff". "Riff" comes from OE
"hrif" = belly, but your "midriff" is exposed via a gap in your clothes so
"midrift" sounds plausible. Folk etymology in action if it catches on.

BTW, in the UK "boob tube" is a sort of tight cropped garment worn by women
on the upper part of their bodies. In the US I think it is a normally a
derogatory term for TV, the medium. Is that right?

The song "Video killed the radio stars" was essentially incomprehensible in
the UK because to us "video" means "video recording", in various senses, eg
"I watched a video", "The film went straight to video". Is the term "video"
for television - the meaning used in the song - actually used at all widely
in the US or elsewhere?

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk