LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 13 16:47:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.12 (06) [E]

IDear Henry and Luc,
        I may be guilty of having led you down a lane that has turned into a
stony path.
Like so many family traditions, this sugar bowl thing has evidently been
warped and misinterpreted since I first heard it.  Granny might have had an
anti- Yorkshire ax to grind.  My supposed relatives in Northumberland gave
me a strange look when I quoted the inscription, ending it with, "th'sel' ".
I sensed that something was not right and am now convinced that Henry's
version is that which I originally heard from Grandma.  I can only guess
what "Thisen" means.  Has it possibly got something to do with "Thy son"
instead of "thy self".   Sorry that having never seen the sugar bowl
personally I can shed no additional light on the rest of the its message.
Luc may have the answer, though.

Thank you both for your help
Bill Wigham
Westfield, Massa adchu set