LL-L "Literature" 2004.08.18 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 18 20:17:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.AUG.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Troy Sagrillo <meshwesh at bigfoot.com>
Subject: "Literature" [S]

Hello all,

I just returned from a vacation in Scotland were I was able to pick up a few
books about Scots that I have been wanting for quite some time, in addition
to some of the classic epic historical poems (Barbour's _the Brus_ and Blind
Harry's _the Wallace_).

While I did see quite a few books of 19th century poetry in Scots (mainly
Burns of course), modern Scots poetry and short stories, and the New
Testament, there was really little else. Is there any body of writing that
is not either poetry or other forms of literature? History? Discussions of
gardening? Politics? Anything? Or is the majority of Scots writing limited
to literature?

All the best,

Troy