LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.19 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 20 04:04:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.AUG.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language varieties

In the discussion of "weather" Luc quoted:
-De vruchten van het land weren (E: to remove the harvest from the fields)

My guess (with a little help from De Vries) is that this might actually be
from the different root found in "bewaren" and thus have the sense "remove
and keep". This seems to be the root underlying E. "weir" - a dam to keep
fish behind.

BTW, in J Caesar Shakespeare writes "What is't o'clock" twice. It is
conveniently iambic.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L Language varieties

David Barrow wrote:

>>Dan I thought Modern English developed out of Mercian, which like
>>Northumbrian is a subdivision of Anglian

David,
That depends on what you mean exactly with modern English. The English
dialects evolved on their respective territories in a linear way.
Interestingly enough the traditional dialect boundaries are still very close
to the ones that were established in the Old English period.

If it is modern Standard English you are referring to then we are indeed
confronted with a hybrid.

London was the centre of formation of the Standard Language in the late
Middle English period moving into the Early Modern English period, not just
of the written, but also of the spoken language. But language in London
changed, developed and was subject to more diverse influence than the
dialects in the regions. Originally the London dialect was Eastern Saxon,
thus very southern in character. Strong influence, probably through
continuous migration into the city, from other dialect regions caused many
southern forms to be replaced with midland, west country and northern forms.

So the Early Modern London English was a blend of various dialects ('Saxon'
and 'Anglian') on an East Saxon base.

Dan