LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 20 14:58:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.19 (06) [E]

>From: GoodbyColumbus at aol.com <GoodbyColumbus at aol.com>
>Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.19 (02) [E]
>
>Sorry to perhaps go out of bounds on this, but thinking of this "weather"
>and "time/tide" connection, I think of French, "le temps" , meaning both
>weather and time.
>
>Brad

Moin alltohoop,

I think it is the same with "il tempo" in Italian language, isn´t it?

Kumpelmenten
Utz H. Woltmann

----------

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Phonology

Re "mill girls": The comedian Les Dawson did a turn involving two women
talking over the garden wall in which he used the exaggerated lip movements
and "nudge-nudge wink-wink" non-vocalisation which John D referred to. Worth
looking out for.

I have a feeling that factory workers and sweatshop employees lived in very
different worlds both geographically and socially but I've never gone into
the subject in detail.

I don't know if the UK TV series "Cold Feet" has made it abroad but it's set
in Manchester and the actress Fay Ripley has talked publicly about her "cod"
Manchester accent. It doesn't stop her making a good living doing TV ads
using the same voice.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.19 (10) [E]

Dan Ryan-Prohaska wheag writes:
"Originally the London dialect was Eastern Saxon, thus very southern in
character. Strong influence, probably through continuous migration into the
city, from other dialect regions caused many southern forms to be replaced
with midland, west country and northern forms."

Do you have any examples of the original Eastern Saxon dialect of London and
of the forms that replaced it? I was under the impression that London was
solidly Midland-speaking by 1400, so the Saxon, West Country and Northern
forms cannot have survived that long.

Gwra'massi!

Críostóir.