LL-L "Morphology" 2004.08.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 22 19:02:14 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.AUG.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

I wrote:

> Still surviving in most varieties is the use of such substitutions, if you
> will, for the *first* person singular and plural when addressing children
or
> persons treated like children; e.g., "Come to Daddy!", "Will you give
Auntie
> Doris a hug?", "Mom has to go potty," "Mommy and Daddy will sit in front."
>
> I find this to be more prevalent and developed in certain English
varieties,
> sociolects.  For instance, a certain cafeteria is "run" by a middle-aged
> African American lady who has been working there for decades, with the air
> of a benevolent queen.  She is a real character you simply cannot but love
> because she truly loves everyone and talks to them accordingly, including
> strangers, and people that reciprocate regularly get hugs from her.
Instead
> of "I" she says "Ms. Ellie" ([mIz ...]); e.g., "Don't worry about that,
> sugar! Ms. Ellie will get a rug and clean it right up for you.", "Why the
> long face, honey? You sit yourself down here right now and tell Ms. Ellie
> all about it!", "Now hurry on over, child, and help Ms. Ellie with these
> dishes!"
>
> Can you think of anything like this in other Lowlands varieties?

I believe that this sort of thing is, at least originally, a feature of many
southeastern dialects of American English, not specific to African American
varieties.  Is this correct?

Part of this would be using "Ms." (fomerly "Mrs." and "Miss") and "Mr." with
first names.