LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.23 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 23 15:36:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.AUG.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: D.M.Pennington <dmpmos at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.08.18 (07) [E]

What is"standard English"?

A "standard" grammar there may well be, but can one say that there is a
"standard" pronunciation?

Some citizens of the UK maintain that RP is "standard".

I now go out of my way not to affect RP, especially when I now hear so many
varieties of English pronunciation on the BBC.

As regards my dialect (Lancashire), it is certainly not dead where I come
from and where I, as did most of my acquaintances, worked "down the pit"
most of our lives before the British coal industry was destroyed.

On arriving home with my Russian wife in 1997, a former workmate of mine
said to me: "Nay!  Th'art a fawse un! Tha ne'er towd us that tha'dst getten
wed."

(Now! Thou art a false one!  Thou never told us that thou hadst got wed.")

On hearing this and my further discourse with my erstwhile colleagues, my
wife asked why we were talking German!

Aw reet! Dos't get wor ahm on abayht?

(All right! Dost thou get what I am on about?)