LL-L "Morphology" 2004.08.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 23 15:51:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.AUG.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2004.08.22 (07) [E]

Andrys wrote:
> I think it's become far more prevalent than that - it seems everyone who
> wishes to self-aggrandise uses the third person to refer to themselves.
> (You wonder where you've missed the turn-off when Britney Spears tells
> us what "Britney Spears" thinks - although this is only what Andrys
> Onsman thinks!).

Let's not forget Bob Dole - when he ran for president, he practically always
referred to himself as "Bob Dole"... he probably had one of those mothers
who would still say "Mommy wants you to become president" by the time he
actually tried to...

I often wonder how people come to think that talking like that will make
learning to speak any easier for their children... the concept of "I" vs.
"you" is easy to learn, even for one-year-olds.

Gabriele Kahn