LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.24 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 24 21:20:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.AUG.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.23 (01) [E]

Dear John Feather,

Subject: Language varieties

> John D: All is not lost. BBC Radio 7 has been broadcasting a large
selection
> of Marriott Edgar's monologues over the last week or so. If you're quick
you
> should be able to hear some of them on www.bbc.co.uk "Marriott's
Monologues"
> was broadcast at 9 am, 6.30 pm and 12.30 am starting on Aug 12. Programmes
> are available on the site for 7 days after first broadcast so hurry!

Thanks from me. I'll try to catch it.

> I have always thought that "The Lion and Albert" would be great sung to
the
> tune of Peter Sarstedt's "Where do you go to my lovely". I'd love to do it
> as a party piece but I can't play the guitar.

Well, Stanley Holloway only recited it - now I can't hear it any other way!

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Dear John Duckworth& Reinhard,

> Subject: Language Varieties

>   While thinking about the Lancashire dialect and looking through the two
> old
>   poems by Samuel Laycock I began thinking about the Modal Auxiliary Verb
>   _maun_.
> Could it be related to the Dutch verb "moeten", and the flemish equivalent
> "moet'n"
> V:ik moe(te) - je/gij moet - hij moet - wijder moet'n - gijder moet -
zijder
> moet'n
> V:Moeme/ Moewe =E Do we have to (must we)
> v:Moe'ze =E Do they have to (Must they)
> v: Moetie = E: Does he have to (Must he)

While still on the subject, I looked up the nearest reasonable facimile in
Afrikaans to the second of Woden's ravens, 'Munin' - 'Thought'? The first
was 'Hugin' - 'Memory'? (related to Afr. 'geheue' - 'memory, recollection'.
OE also used it "---Hige scael se heardre, heorte se cenre, the ure magen
lytleth. [The Battle of Maldon]"

'Maan' - 'warn, urge, dun (for money); 'Aanmaning' - 'warning, exhortation';
'vermaan' - 'admonish, caution, lecture, expostulate'.

I can't imagine how this will lead to the Southern English 'must', like MHG
'musst' & Afr 'moet'.

Yrs,
Mark