LL-L "Administrativia" 2004.08.24 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 24 20:07:05 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.AUG.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativa" 2004.08.24 (07) [A/E]

Ron:

I wonder is it worthwhile posting a message to point out that
newcomers and those who "out" themselves with opinionated submissions aren't
considered "flame-baiters". I often felt when I first joined that I was
perceived as a little too polemic, but I've stayed the distance and been
accepted. Newcomers are usually very opinionated and relish the opportunity
to put their views out among like-minded thinkers... many of whom may be
lurkers.

Go raibh maith agat,

Críostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dydh da, Críostóir wheag!

Meur ras!

There's a huge difference between being opinionated and being a
flame-baiter. Usually you can tell the latter by the inconsistency of
"opinions," by people's attempts to offend and enrage based on whatever they
gauge the general concensus on a given list to be -- rocking the boat just
for the fun of it and for the sake of getting any sort of attention.

I have never felt that you could even vaguely be considered falling in that
category, and I would be surprised if anyone else did.  "Lone wolf" howls,
real or perceived, should not automatically be construed as flame-baiting.
Minority opinions, views and theories are as welcome here as any other type.

I for one have always greatly welcomed and appreciated what you had to say,
all those uniquely Críostóir-tinted postings that allow one to see things in
yet another light.  I have always been convinced that what you said was what
you meant, have never suspected you of wanton provocation.  Your
participation has greatly enriched the List, and the same can be said of
pretty much everyone who has ventured out into the speaker's corner.  Just
because not everyone agrees with you, or you even feel you have been "shot
down" once or twice, does not mean that your participation and your opinons
are not appreciated.  The same applies to those who suddenly pour cold water
on a jolly party by challenging what seems to be the accepted opinion or
status quo.  Learning together should not amount to getting carried away in
mass delusion.  This is where minority opinions and wake-up calls are pretty
darn useful.

As far as e-lists go, ours has a pretty nice, even familial atmosphere.  By
and large, folks remain civil and compassionate even at the height of a
heated debate.  This spells barren ground for the seeds of any would-be
flame-baiter.   So let's keep it that way!

Dha weles diwettha!

Friendly regards and best wishes,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L