LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.08.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 25 14:45:42 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Language varieties

Dan wrote:

"The Island North Frisians appear to have settled on the islands between 700
and 800 AD coming from East Frisia. What we know is that the islands had
been abandoned for the duration of about 150 years."

In the article by the orthographically challenged Frederik Paulsen which I
quoted from earlier he says:

"The many other West-, East- and North-Frisian islands, as well as the main
part of the Frisian mainland, have either been reclaimed from the sea by
dykes or are still being shaped and transformed by sand dunes; and therefore
they are relatively new. The fact that these two old islands [Foehr and
Amrum in his spelling] have been continuously inhabited, and indeed densely
populated, since the early Stone Age or the end of the last Ice Age, may be
why the Ferring language has some archaic structures and words which do not
occur in the other Frisian languages, pointing to a pre-Germanic origin."

Of course, being non-Frisian is not the same thing as being non-Germanic.
Does anybody know what these special linguistic features are? Why should
these islands remain populated and therefore be different from the rest and
the neighbouring mainland especially if, as Bede suggested, it was the area
abandoned by the Angles and left vacant?

Regarding the AS invasion of the British Isles, do we need any better
explanation than that with the withdrawal of Roman forces the land was
available for the taking?

John D mentioned "rum" in his dialect meaning "strange" or "queer". It's
actually very widespread geographically though probably not much used today.
I tend to think of it as the sort of word a retired major meeting Hercule
Poirot might use to describe the goings-on at Puzzlecombe Manor.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk